Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Om Nom Nom

"You're never safe from being surprised 'till you're dead." -Rachel Lynde --Anne of Avonlea

I'm reading through the Anne of Green Gables series since I never did as a kid and because they are so wonderful. The character Rachel Lynde is the town gossip and she's often overbearing but she has a tender heart and on occasion a word or two of wisdom. I read the above quote last night and was very much in agreement with her. There are multiple scenarios in my life which can attest to the truth in that sentence, one of them being quite recent and odd. We'll start at the beginning because I've heard it's a good place to start. . .

The first weekend in August was busy and full of hanging out and just doing things and going places in general. This is not terribly unusual, but what was unusual was the quantity of naps I was taking because I was just completely exhausted, but for no real reason. I love naps, which is why this didn't alarm me. But the naps continued along with the ongoing fatigued feeling. Also what started that week was the wearing of the glasses. I sometimes need my glasses to read or watch movies but it's now been almost three weeks and I've need them almost every single day. Anyway, so fast forward to this past Sunday at 3pm and what am I doing? Snoozing like a boss. I had been to my little brother and sister's birthday bash the night before and was tired, but I didn't think I was that tired. Yesterday presented itself and I did not. I slept until 11:30am and felt horrid all day.

The cure-all will forever be to go home. So to my parent's I went and over supper I related the tales of the ill and fatigued Josie. I suggested illnesses that had been postulated and other ideas I had pondered, but nothing seemed to fit just perfectly. The idea of going to the doctor was laid on the table and I politely and quickly refused. Yuck. So then my dad is like 'oh it's probably just your iron.' Wait what?! Life is full of surprises, eh? Dad and I pull down this awesome book we own of illnesses and home remedy's and look under the assumed diagnosis. It fits like a glove. Basically this means I need to take my trusty vitamins and eat correctly. My mother said that it could be due to not eating healthy meals...or not eating at all. Guilty as charged. I forget, ok?

I'm guessing that the reason I have been craving chocolate so much lately is because it is high in iron, especially cocoa powder aka homemade brownies! MmMmm. Along with chocolate on the list of high in iron foods are these items which I will need to eat more of to boost my iron levels:
Red meats
Egg yolks -- see also Rocky the boxer...
Iron-enriched cereals
Spinach -- see also Popeye!
Dried fruits
Mollusks
Turkey or chicken Giblets -- see also no thank you
Pumpkin, Sunflower, and/or Squash seeds
Beans, Lentils, Chick peas -- see also HUMMUS :)
Artichoke

Hopefully living at home will also help me to keep a healthier and more regular diet. Three meals a day kind of thing, ya know. So this is my surprise of the week which now we both know! And knowing is half the battle, right?

~me

3 comments:

  1. I knew chocolate was always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ Anna
    also, sure we can have mollusks! but only if we cook them just right.

    ReplyDelete